JADAM Wetting Agent is a surfactant/emulsifier and is widely use as a method of controling pests. JWA is a natural and biodegradable soft soap consisting of potassium salts of fatty acids resulting from the saponification of canola oil with potassium Hydroxide (KOH).
Soft soaps have been used for hundreds years as they are simple to make, environmentally safe, detrimental to pests and easily broken down by microbes and therefore turned into nutrients for plants.
JWA works by direct contact with the pests where the fatty acids penetrate their bodies and disrupt the cell membrane causing dehydration and death. JWA can control issues such as aphids, mealybugs, mites, leafhoppers, scale insects, caterpillars, thrips, whitefly, powdery mildew and more.
Avoid spraying during a sunny day as it can cause burns. Do not use on sweet peas, nasturtiums, delicate ferns and use with care on seedlings, transplants and flowers.
Test on a small patch if concerned about plant sensitivity.
No expiry date.
-Potassium hydroxide (KOH)
-Heat resistant plastic container with air tight lid
-Blender or Drill & Paint mixer
-Scale and container for measurement
Recipe for 10L JWA (320g of KOH, 250g Initial water, 1.8L Canola oil, 8L added water) (Can be scaled up or down):
- Measure out exactly 320g of KOH, 250g of water and mix them in the heat resistant container, close the lid and swirl the container around until the KOH is fully dissolved. Be careful as this reaction releases a fair amount of heat.
- Measure out exactly 1.8L of canola oil and add it to the container with the KOH and water.
- With the drill and paint mixer, or blender, mix the solution until it reaches the consistency of a thin mayonnaise.
- Close the lid and let the container sit for 3 days, it should harden and feel like butter if not, repeat step 3.
- Add 2L of water and blend it slowly with your mixing tool making sure there are no clumps left stuck at the bottom or on the sides.
- Add the remaining 6L of water and stir manually with a stick, close the lid and let it dissolve completely for 24 hours.
- Store the solution in an airtight container. It has no expiry date.
-Mix in with water at ratio of 5-30ml/L