Jiffy 7C pellets are used extensively by growers all over the world to propagate a wide variety of seeds and cuttings. The pellets are made of coco—peat (hence the 7C designation) and are shipped directly from our Sri Lankan factories to distributors all over the world. The compressed nature of the pellets ensure ease of transport.
Media and container in one
The Jiffy-7C pellet is built on the principle of container and media in one and comes in the form of a compressed dry disk in a partly degradable netting. This means Jiffy –7C will get you the same logistical and storage advantages as with all other Jiffy pellet systems. All Jiffy 7 C pellet sizes come with their own tray systems, however the pellets are often used without trays, either in crates or on plastic sheets.
Composition, Sizes and Features
- Made of RHP certified washed and buffered coco peat in a bio-degradable netting
- Pellet manufacture is audited multiple times annually by RHP to ensure consistent pH and EC
- Fertilizer is added to assist seedlings and cuttings in the early stages of growth
- Pellet sizes vary from 20mmx35mm to 60mmx150mm (expanded diameter x expanded height)
- Wide range of pellet sizes accommodates different crop types and growing systems
- Pellets are packed in cartons for easy transport and storage
- All pellets have their own tray system
- Applications vary from remote forestry in difficult African terrain to sophisticated hydroponic systems. In 2016 over 10 million Jiffy 7C pellets were used in Southern and East Africa
How to use
- Remove pellets from cartons and hydrate by placing in water—filled containers or by spraying with overhead spray. Pellets can also be hydrated while in trays using ebb and flow method or overhead spraying;
- Plant seeds or cuttings directly into hydrated pellets at the depth required for the particular crop type
- Water as per requirement for the crop and environment, remembering that coco peat usually requires less water applied more frequently
- No fertilizations is required in the first week or so of growth but thereafter suitable fertilizations is required
- Grow the seedling/cutting to planting size and then plant the whole pellet into the soil or growing system
- Plants will easily root through the Jiffy 7C netting and develop into soil or growing medium
Jiffy 7C in Africa
Jiffy—7C pellets have proved their mettle in Africa. Their compressed nature makes them easy to transport and ensures competitive pricing. They have a long shelf life and are well packaged for our conditions and their easy application suits remote and tough conditions. They save water and labour as well as setup time of nurseries.
- Ease of transport and deployment
- Minimum infrastructure required to establish nurseries
- Ease of seeding and planting of picked seedlings due to soft, airy growing medium
- Improved germination rates due to high quality growing medium and faster growth rates
- Significant increase in root mass improving survival and growth rates once planted out
- Minimal transplant shock, no cutting of plastic and damage to roots, simply plant the whole pellet
- Netting prevents growing media from fouling hydroponic systems:
- Environmentally friendly, no plastic, no soil, biodegradable
Jiffy-7C is used by many professional greenhouse growers, Nursery men, foresters and others involved in growing and has become a favorite choice for the modern plant propagator. The 100% coir pellets are available in many different sizes and tray configurations and should be the preferred option when looking for a rooting media to be used under highly stressing conditions, or as an alternative when searching for a 100% guaranteed functioning peat free plant propagation solution.
For further details or to conduct trials please do not hesitate to contact us. We travel extensively in Africa and can visit you at your premises for a consultation.